Re: Console Text Scrambled

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 12:54:28PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:

> > do you by any chance upgrade to Xfree 4.x and are running
> > framebuffers compiled into the kernel ?
>
> I do, why ?? I ask because I *cannot* use any consoles if X is running.
> When I switch to it, it looks file, but as soon as I type something, my
> text changes to something that looks worse than the old EGA or CFA mode.
> The text becomes HUGE.

that happens because X does not reset the framebuffer console properly.

[snip]

> I'm using a Matrox G400 and using framebuffers specifically for it. I've
> also tried different variations of the console fonts that are available.

are you by any chance running the driver from matrox? (mga.o, downloaded
from their site) if you are, then you _will_ have this problem with
framebuffer; if you want to use X+console, you will have to disable the
framebuffer in the kernel.

luck,

Alberto