Re: Can't Locate binfmt... something to worry about?

Colin Watson wrote:

> binfmt_misc isn't his problem, it's trying to execute random other files
> for some reason, at which point the kernel constructs a module name
> based on the first two bytes of the file and tries to modprobe it; it
> only goes near binfmt_misc if that module has specifically registered
> itself as knowing about the binary format in question. I haven't worked
> out exactly what's causing it for him yet.

I'm including a sample of the daemon.log. I haven't yet been able to see
what causes it. But it usually happens once a day, but then 2 days can
go by without anything...

The only thing I can think of is that a month or so back I recompiled my
kernel adding synthesizer suport for my SB card (op13). But in none of
the occasions where I received the error have I been making use of any
sound card...

So, any help on what is causing this. Or how I can track down the app
that is trying to open this non-recognized or zero length file is
appreciated...

> >You can remove one entry or all entries by echoing -1 to
> >/proc/.../the_name or /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/status."
>
> <plug> Try the binfmt-support package in unstable, which should make
> things a little easier to manage. </plug> :)

What is this? And will it work on my potato system or do I have to get
souref and compile

Thanks,

Jonathan

--