[OT] Grub

If this is better off posting to grub's mailing list, just tell me. Thanks.

Situation:

/dev/hda running WinNT
/dev/hdb running Debian
	/dev/hdb1 => /boot
	/dev/hdb2 => /

/dev/hda is set to bootable.

I can bootup using nt's os loader then booting lilo.

What I want to do is to boot grub which I can then choose
to load nt or debian.

I have made a grub boot disk which works fine but grub is
not installed on the hard disk.

So using cfdisk, I made /dev/hda not bootable and /dev/hdb1 bootable.
Put stage1 and stage2 and menu.lst and other files in
/usr/share/grub/i386-pc/* to /boot/grub/
I booted with the grub bootdisk and
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> install /grub/stage1 (hd1) /grub/stage2 p

rebooted and got the error : os not found.

I'm wondering whether it is because there is no mbr on /dev/hdb.
Since I have 2 harddisks, do I need a mbr on each harddisk?

If that is the case, I have to use install-mbr, right?
If not, can anyone point out what's my error here?

Thanks.

Regards,
    joey