Re: ethernet card installation

Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> /etc/modules should not be edited by hand.

Don't listen to Viktor about /etc/modules.  It is meant to be edited
by hand or by modconf(1).  Personally, I don't see why I should have
to enter an ncurses/dialog utility when I can open up vi(1) and edit
the file by hand.  Much quicker than having to wait for a colorful
GUI.

I think he ment, "/etc/modutils.conf should not be edited by hand".
In which case, he would be correct.  And the following statement is
why:

> Johnny: After editing /etc/modutils/aliases, make sure to run
> `update-modules`, otherwise your change goes unnoticed.

update-modules does not touch /etc/modules, so don't worry about
editing it.

Jimmy Richards wrote:
> I have been using Red Hat and Mandrake for a while now(a few years)
> but am fairly new to Debian and hope you don't mind if I ask a
> couple questions that I thought you might know about.

Sure.

> It looks like you say that /etc/modules should not be edited by
> hand. I was just wondering what is wrong with editing it by hand?

Nothing.  See above.

> The other thing I was curious about is the 'ifconfig eth0 up'
> command. I used to be on a dial-up/ppp connection. But for about 9
> months now I have been on cable and so now use an ethernet card.

Look at ifup(8), ifdown(8), and interfaces(5), found in /etc/network/.
It's part of the new netbase (/usr/share/doc/netbase) package.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD