How did linux corrupt hda1 (C: drive) fat16 filesystem?

550 <debian-users@list.debian.org>... Host unknown (Name server: list.debian.org: host not found)

Tried to cp a file from hda2 (linux) to hda1 (fat16).  Now lilo
cannot find anything on c: to boot.

If I boot DOS6.2 with bootfloppy, c: looks EMPTY.

However, linux finds files and folders on /mnt/hda1; but the
names appear corrupted.

Any way to recover?  I've tried some Norton utilities in DOS,
but no joy so far.

TIA,

dave
Reporting-MTA: dns; ciao.cc.columbia.edu
Arrival-Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:44:07 -0500 (EST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; debian-users@list.debian.org
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; list.debian.org
Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:44:33 -0500 (EST)
--- Begin Message ---
After trying to cp a file from hda2 (linux) to hda1, C:
has become inaccessible.  If I migrate to /mnt/hda1 and
type ls, MANY files fly by, but their names are almost
all corrupted.  Tried to boot DOS from floppy and use
Norton software to recover C:, but get reports that file
system is corrupt.

Anyone have any suggestions for recovering C:   ????

I've been following linux newsgroups for a while, and
I've never heard of this one.  I didn't know it could
happen (or I would have had C: backed up better)....

TIA, dave

--- End Message ---