kill: cannot kill some processes

As the subject indicates, there are some processes that hang and cannot
be killed.  Specifically, occasionally dselect will hang while trying to
install a package.  After waiting for a long time, I try both Ctrl-c and
Ctrl-z and neither will work.  Then I try to kill the process from
another xterm.  It looks as if the kill worked, but when I do a ps, the
job is still there.  It also just happened with df.  I use this to kill:

kill -9 [pid]

Any suggestions?
--

Brian J. Stults