IBM Thinkpad install

I'm trying to help a friend of mine install Debian 2.2r0 onto an IBM Thinkpad
365XD.  It boots the rescue disk just fine using the default options, but
when I try to boot the second floppy (root.bin) it gives me the following
error:

VM: do_try_to_free_pages

and then something about modprobe failing.

At which point it locks up the machine and the error continues to scroll off
the screen.  No way to stop it but to reboot.

I've already tried the linux floppy=thinkpad and linux mca-pentium no-hlt
boot parameters but nothing seems to make that root.bin disk load.  Any body
got any ideas?

Jesse

P.S. I'm not on the list right now please CC me.