Newbie Question - Corel and GNU/Linux Compatibility

I have a Corel distro on my laptop - it installed nicely with little input from me.
I have PURCHASED the Debian GNU/Linux from a store for 20 US. ( It came with a terrific bumper sticker!)
I would like to replace Corel with Deb GNU and wondered if there were any pitfalls to be aware of.

Please cc my address directly as well as the list - I have limited bandwidth for email and was overwhelmed by the list.

I was not able to use apt-get with Corel - it seems to want a dedicated internet connect and I don't have that.

Thanks !
Shawn