Re: strange bash feature

On 09/01/2001 at 21:45 +0200, russirv@mail1.edu.hel.fi wrote:

> This is a little irritating at times. If I try to do the following
>
>     [irvine@hostname]$ ls -l 'which ls'
>
> I get
>
>     ls -l 'which ls'
>     ls: which ls: No such file or directory
>
> Whereas I would normally expect the following
>
>     [irvine@hostname]$ ls -l 'which ls'
>     -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        43740 Aug 25 17:24 /bin/ls

No, you shouldn't. Notice:

	$ ls -l 'which ls'
	ls: which ls: No such file or directory
	$ ls -l `which ls`
	-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        42588 Dec 29 03:55 /bin/ls

Notice the difference between the first and the second:
	- first:   ' ... '
	- second:  ` ... `

> I checked the file /etc/issue and my account is running on
>
> 	Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)
>    	Kernel 2.2.16-22 on an i586
>
> But I don't suppose that that makes much difference.

This is a Debian mailing list. The problem may be common to RedHat and
Debian, but it may as well don't.

Anyhow, RedHat 7.0 is very broken... Don't rely on it. Test the ssh client
you are using with another Linux machine to see if you have the same
problem. If you have, it's probable that the problem is either a bug or a
misconfiguration in your ssh client.

If the problem disappears on the other machine... Well, I guess then it's
time for you to install Debian, no? :)

Regards, sena...

--
sena@decoy.ath.cx, http://www.smux.net/~sena/
gpg fingerprint: F20B 12A8 A8F6 FD1F 9B1D BA62 C424 8E73 DD2E 47C8