Voodoo 3

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to do to set up my
voodoo 3 to provide hardware-accelerated OpenGL under X 3.3.6?

At this point, what I think I know is that Mesa is a free implementation
of the OpenGL API, and that it can work with (over?) Glide, which is the
Voodoo's API (also the name of the implementation thereof).  Am I anywhere
close?

But I'm completely lost as to what to do to get it to work...

I've installed the following packages (from potato):
libglide2-v3
libglide2-dev
glide2-base
mesag3-glide2
mesag3-widgets
mesag-glide2-dev
mesag-widgets-dev

Okay, so the dev packages are probably overkill at this point, but what
the heck?  :)

If I try to run /usr/bin/test3Dfx, I get:
gd error (glide): Can't find or access Banshee/V3 board
gd error (glide): grSstSelect:  non-existent SSTSegmentation fault

In the description for libglide2-v3, it says "You'll need the /dev/3dfx
kernel driver to use this library."  I have no clue what to do about
this; where would I get the this kernel driver?

I haven't had much luck in finding current documentation (I assume things
have changed significantly since the 3dfx howto was last updated 3 years
ago, since it specifically mentions that there is no kernel configuration
necessary).  If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be most
appreciative.

TIA.

--
David Steinberg