Re: [2.4.0] migration to devfs

    Ethan> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 06:38:16PM -0600, Jason Holland
    Ethan> wrote:
    >> Devfs has a compatibility mode which can be turned on.  it
    >> enables the old device paths, like /dev/hda4, to coexist with
    >> the new paths, though mount will report the new path.

    Ethan> it does that though a kludge daemon.  the same kludge
    Ethan> required to allow chown/chgrp/chmod to work.

My understanding is that chown/chgrp/chmod will work fine without
devfsd.

My understanding is devfs can do these tasks:

1. register compatibility links.

2. Setup default permissions of devices as they are created.

3. Automatically load kernel modules as required if required device
does not exist.

It is not required for devfs support, as other methods could be used
instead. It is the method recommended by the author though.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>