migration troubles

Hey people,

I am new to debian, i fell from a redhat tree :)

I am running on a IBM thinkpad (laptop) 390, P1-233MMX, 64 Mb RAM, 3Gb HD,
Sitecom 10/100 PCMCIA FastEthernet, and some other stuff.

downloaded a 2.2r0 ISO.
The install went fine (albeit the amount of options was somewhat
overwhelming, but convincing)
Rebooted.
My network won't run.
Or to be more concise, the cardmanager doesn't recognize my card (it emits a
high beep (meaning ok start or so) and a low beep (unrecognized card)).
This is ok, i had the same under redhat.
I have these files, lna100.o and config.lna100n.
The former (under redhat 6.2) goes under /lib/modules/2.2.14-6.0/pcmcia/
and the latter goes under /etc/pcmcia
the (still in redhat) I 'vi /etc/pcmcia/config' and append the line 'source
./config.lna100n'
Restart the cardmanager '/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart' and bingo.

So in debian, I stuck the lna100.o in /lib/modules/<current
kernelname>/pcmcia/
The config.lna100n went into the /etc/pcmcia
I edited the /etc/pcmcia/config file
and issued '/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
a high beep (succesful load) and a middle-tone beep (?)
ifconfig showed no eth0

being a linux-almost-newbie and a debian-absolute-beginner,
i am stuck.
anyone?