RE: lilo.conf

Ok, lets answer these in order:

True.  I missed that on debian-devel.  I have been pointed to the message.
I apologize.

No, /etc/lilo.conf.old does NOT have a backup.  It has a copy of a
configuration I was using months ago.  More than likely I'd made a copy of
my configuration for some reason under that name, although I don't remember
doing it.  I do recognize the configuration in that file as being an old
one, however.  Does yours not overwrite a .old file if it finds one?  Why
was a backup necessary in the first place?  I wasn't asked if I wanted my
configuration overwritten.  Why didn't it auto-run the debconf front-end,
for that matter, which would have at least been an indication that, hey,
you'd better save that file!

Assuming that everyone uses kernel-package is stupid.  Plain and simple.
Not bothering to look at the running configuration to make SURE is even
worse.  If you're going to throw the "you're running unstable" shill at me,
I'm going to throw right back at you the fact that people running unstable
are likely to compile their own kernels.  And horrors, they might actually
download a tarball and do it that way.  Why would I want a deb of my kernel?
I'm not going to run it anywhere else, so what good is portability?

Certainly I do.  That's why I run unstable.  But unstable doesn't mean that
the maintainer makes a deliberate attempt to lunch your box.  "Sorry for the
data loss?"  (quote from postinst) You KNEW this was going to do this.

As for filing bug reports, I note that several people already have on these
issues.  Should I add another?  Would it have helped?

You haven't MADE a request for my lilo.conf.  Here it is:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda3
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
lba32
# restricted
password="password"
default="linux"
read-only
# delay=20
prompt
timeout=100
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
	label=linux.old
image=/boot/vmlinuz.safe
	label=linux.safe
image=/boot/vmlinuz.test11
	label=linux.test11
image=/boot/vmlinuz.test12
	label=linux.test12
image=/boot/vmlinuz.prerel
	label=linux.prerel

I'm not planning on being a developer.  I *am* planning on keeping my boxen
running.

-----
Marc Wilson
mwilson@moonkingdom.net