chroot II: What's wrong?

Hi!

First of all: Thanks for your patience and thanks for
your pointers for help.

chroot() may not be the ultimate solution for running
servers safely, but it seems to raise the bar for
crackers quite effectively.  For those who are
interested: I found quite exactly what I was looking
for on

   http://penguin.epfl.ch/chroot.html

For testing purposes I tried what I found there
on my system (potato without extensions in this
area). It seems that chroot denies service,
though. Look at this:

   ROOT # chroot /bin/ /ls -l
   chroot: cannot execute /ls: No such file or directory

   ROOT # cd /bin/
   ROOT # /bin/ls -l
   << Output as expected >>

According to the info page and the output of

   ROOT # chroot --help

I can see nothing that I did wrong.

   ROOT # chroot --version

expands to this:

   chroot (GNU sh-utils) 2.0
   Written by Roland McGrath.

   [WARRANTYBLURB]

Have you got any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

--

Matthias Lampert
                                   .^.