Re: SCSI challenge

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 05:50:35PM -0800, David S. Bach wrote:

> What I cannot do yet is get Debian 2.2r2 to speak with my Advansys
> SCSI card. Tied to it are a couple of gigabytes of storage I would be

Which boot-floppy flavour did you use? Vanilla-boot-floppies have
advansys support included, there sould be some messages while kernel
boots. Compact seems to support it, too. Idepci doesn't, Udma66 has it
built as a module, so "modprobe advansys" should do something
sensible.

Might be, changeing to the right kernel helps, if you use the
idepci one. If it is udma66, add the line "advansys" to /etc/modules.

If this doesn't help much, say which card it is exactly you have
and/or look at the following addresses.

> What are my options to access the SCSI storage through the Advansys
> card? Advansys claims to actively support Linux, but offers modules
> only for Red Hat and Suse, which I can download - but, hey!, what do
> I do with them?

Get the source and build your own kernel - if the card is not
supported by the actual kernel, but is with the latest driver.

> I almost always solve my Linux problems (I have two other vanilla PCs
> running Linux as a gateway and a Web server) with man pages and
> HOWTOs. But this has me stumped. Can anyone out there direct me to
> the right resource?

Snipped from kernel 2.2.18 source:

/*
 * advansys.h - Linux Host Driver for AdvanSys SCSI Adapters
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1995-2000 Advanced System Products, Inc.
 * Copyright (c) 2000 ConnectCom Solutions, Inc.
 * All Rights Reserved.
 *
 * modification, are permitted provided that redistributions of source
 * code retain the above copyright notice and this comment without
 * modification.
 *
 * As of March 8, 2000 Advanced System Products, Inc. (AdvanSys)
 * changed its name to name to ConnectCom Solutions, Inc.
 *
 * There is an AdvanSys Linux WWW page at:
 *  http://www.connectcom.net/downloads/software/os/linux.html
 *  http://www.advansys.com/linux.html
 *
 * The latest released version of the AdvanSys driver is available at:
 *  ftp://ftp.advansys.com/pub/linux/linux.tgz
 *  ftp://ftp.connectcom.net/pub/linux/linux.tgz
 *
 * Please send questions, comments, bug reports to:
 *  linux@connectcom.net or bfrey@turbolinux.com.cn
 */

--
Bye,