Re: High ASCII characters at console

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> Another thing I've found to help is to more the same file (up arrow the
> minute you find things screwed up), and page through the file until the
> --more-- prompt looks normal, then quickly quit out of more and you should
> have a properly working console again.
>
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> > on Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 01:47:11AM +1100, Malcolm Miles (mgm-ns@tardis.net) wrote:
> > > I accidently more-ed a binary file and now everything I type at the
> > > console is in high ASCII characters. Is there an easy way to get back
> > > my normal console characters?
> >
> > "reset", as suggested.  Running a program using curses such as "top" or
> > "vi" may also help.  If top, hit space a few times to cycle it and
> > refresh the screen before quitting.

Something else that I've found even more useful is to have a prompt
that corrects it.  The problem is caused by a ^N (I think) putting the
console into alternate character mode.  A ^O (that's a control-O) puts
it back into regular mode.  I just modified my bash prompt to add a ^O
at the beginning.  Newbies should look at the Bash-Prompt-HOWTO for
details on modifications.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org