Re: deleted root directory - fixed, actually a lib problem

on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:46:31PM +0100, Thomas Halahan (tom@halahan.com) wrote:
> Adam & Karsten,
>
> thanks very much for your postings.  i am a fool for not backing up
> better - i suppose i was waiting to buy a CD writer but didn't want
> to spend.
>
> anyway hints from your emails gave me enough to go on.  i ran fsck to
> repair.  you also mentioned libraries which i looked into, and sure
> enough the contents to lib had been moved!
>
> so i'm sorry to say i was obviously wrong - i had not deleted the
> root (i don't think anyway) but somehow the essential system
> libraries had been moved and hence 'ls' and other command did not
> work.
>
> i would not have been able to do this without your promt help.  thank
> you very much.

WRT libs.

For most programs, you're basically hosed if you manage to shitcan them,
which can happen more easily than you might think.  E.g.:  there's a
reason libraries are maintained as links to the actual files.

   $ rm oldlib; cp newlib oldlib

...fails if 'cp' requires lib.  I believe 'mv' is implemented as a 'rm;
cp', effectively, though I want to check sources.

   $ ln -sf newlib lib

...safely overwrites the symbolic link previously pointing to oldlib.
Which is how libraries are updated on an active system.

It's also helpful to keep a statically linked shell, such as sash, the
stand-alone shell, around.  It can do things when your libs are trashed
(or other system binaries are compromised, e.g.:  by a cracker).

You can also, as I indicated, do a fair bit with whatever command
interpreter you have currently loaded.  Once a program is in memory, it
stays there.  You can blow away your system and still have a running
shell [1].  Can't do much, unless you can get a filesystem mounted or
similar, but you're still active.

Understanding the workings of this can be helpful if you find yourself
in dire straits.

[1] I won't reveal how I came by this information.