libmng problem

Hi,

After installing Qt I'm trying to install KDE.

After collecting all the needed packages (debian; e.g. .deb) I fail to
collect all needed ones. One of them is libmng.
I downloaded the .tar.gz versions of the few missing packages. So far,
so good. However the package libmng_0.9.2.org.tar.gz won't gunzip! It
still keeps calling "unexpected end of file".
I downloaded this one from 5 different sites, still the same result. I
worked this package with tar zxvf. It constructs the directory but
breakes off in the middle: unexpected EOF.

KDE (Kdebase for instance) won't install because of dependencies with
this package. Has anyone a good package (this failing package is 168 Kb)
or, even better, a .deb version of this library.

Thanx,
Frank.