E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13 Permission denied)

I am trying to use masquerading to upgrade debian on a laptop, via a local
network.  I have made /var/cache/apt/archives a soft link to a directory
mounted using nfs.  I have mounted it rw and have the no_root_squash
option set, so there should be no problems I thought.

But when I use apt-get dis-upgrade I get the error:

E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13
Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

This makes no sense because I am able to read and write the lock file
okay.

What is wrong?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark.