Re: I can burn CDs, but can't mount any CDs.

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:54:09 -0500, you wrote:

>As per the instructions of the CD-Writing HOWTO, I disabled IDE/ATAPI
>CD-ROM support from my kernel, and instead selected SCSI emulation
>support in the kernel, and a few other related options which I can't
>remember offhand.

Well this is why your regular atapi drive isn't working anymore :-).

>I have no problems burning CDs, its just that now I can't mount any CDs
>- data or audio.

No nead to worry about the audio cds, you never mount them.

>Whenever I try with data CDs that I could previously mount without any
>problems, I now get the following message (as root):
>
>@viper:[/home/ssahmed] mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom/
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>       or too many mounted file systems
>Exit 32
>
>/dev/cdrom is the correct symlink to my CD-ROM device (not CD-RW), and
>this was all working before I changed the kernel to be able to burn CDs.
>
>What is the best way of configuring the kernel so I can use both my
>CD-ROM (Creative 52X IDE/ATAPI) and CD-RW (Yamaha CRW2100E IDE/ATAPI) ?

I have seen similar docs saying that you can't have regular ide-atapi
and scsi emulation support at the same time, but it isn't true.  So go
back an include ide-atapi support for your creative, and
scsi-emulation for your yamaha (I would just do it modularly).  Then
set up lilo or grub or whatever you use so it knows you want to use
emulation on that specific drive...

append="hd?=ide-scsi"     //replace ? with proper channel for lilo

or

hd?=ide-scsi	             //replace ? with proper channel for grub

HTH,

jt

Debian GNU/Linux    <http://www.debian.org>
FreeBSD             <http://www.FreeBSD.org>