Re: how to keep portmap from running?

* Peter Jay Salzman <p@belial.ucdavis.edu> [231100 09:16]:
> bleah.  how do i keep this program from starting on boot?
>
> i looked in /etc/init.d.  can't even find a startup script for this thing!
> it's not in inetd.conf either.   how does this thing get started?

This is more of a question to the readers of this thread than directly to
you Pete, but:

  What are the ramifications of turning portmapper on or off?  I've gotten the
  (perhaps mistaken) impression that portmapper presents some security risks
  but it almost seems like I have to have it running to get other services to
  work properly.

  Is there an alternative to running portmapper?

Any discussion is welcome,

rob.jacobs (r.a.jacobs)
~one of these days I'll put this
 into my mutt .sig file :)~