Re: alsactl problem

Philipp Schulte <p.schulte@matrix.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 06:51:53PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Philipp Schulte wrote:
> > > Try if there is a script called "snddevices" on your
> system. I
> > > compiled alsa from source and on my system the script is
> in
> > > /usr/local/src/alsa-driver-0.5.9d
> >
> > There is no script with that name in all of debian. I
> actually looked
> > for it before I made my post.
>
> Sorrym I didn't mean to say you didn't check. :)
>
> > I could pull it out of the alsa source and use it, but I am
> more
> > interested in how this is supposed to work with the debian
> packages, and
> > why they do not do it automatically. I suspect it is a bug.
>
> I compiled alsa from source because the older alsa.debs didn't
> support
> my card. Maybe someone who got the .debs can enlighten us
> here?

I thought I had filed a bug report about this, but I don't see
it.

The device files can only be made by downloading the source at
present. The shell script for making the devices should be part
of alsa-modules - either the source or the modules will be
installed by the user, and the version of the shell script has
the potential to be tied to that of the precompiled modules
being used.