RE: Network config

> > > That does not mean, that the kernel detects your card but the the
> > > PCI-system does.
> > > What do your logfiles report while booting?
> >
> > via-rhine.c:v1.01 2/27/99  Writen by Donald Becker
> >    http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/via-rhine.html
> > > What type of card do you have and what driver did you select?
> >
> > I use Dlink dfe 530 TX version B. I select via-rhine for my driver.
>
> What makes you think this driver is the right one? From the
> Ethernet-HOWTO (I'd recommend you read it):

   I did. But I can't find the solutions. :(

>   5.14.4.  DE-530

>   This is a generic DEC 21040 PCI chip implementation, and is reported
>   to work with the generic 21040 tulip driver.
>
> So you actually need to compile the tulip-driver as a module, not
> via-rhine. Look for DEC in the section "Network Devices" during
> kernel-configuration.
As I said, I used DFE 530 TX, not DE 530.

> > Now I use via-rhine as a module, but when I insmod it.
> > It appeared some messages.
> > /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/via-rhine.o: init_module: Device or
> resource busy
> > Hint: this error an be caused by incorrect module
> parameters, including
> > invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>
> This is the usual message when loading a module fails. In your case it
> means: You got the wrong module.
>
> > It is a little strange. As I remembered, via-rhine did not
> require any
> > parameters.
>
> What do you mean? When did you have the choice of giving parameters?
> Did this driver ever work with your card?
> Phil

I once ran a  RED HAT box.
I used to download a via-rhine.c from dlink website
and not from source tree, because the kernel (2.2.14)  I used
did not support 530 TX version B.
And I compiled it as a module, I used insmod and modify conf.modules.
It worked just fine.
Now I use debian 2.2 with kernel 2.2.17, I want to use the drivers in the
source tree.

Sorry for my poor English.
Thank for your replies.

Gilbert