Re: Help getting PS/2 mouse working, please

On Sat Nov 18 13:51:07 2000 Moritz Schulte wrote...

>"Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com> writes:
>
>[PS2 mouse]
>> How can I test and make certain it is working, and get it configured
>> corectly so that it works in console mde, and passes data on through
>> to the X server?
>
>Have you already installed 'GPM'? It should ask you some questions
>after it's installation. There you've to specify the "Repeat
>type". You can run /usr/sbin/gpmconfig again or edit /etc/gpm.conf
>manually. See 'man gpm' for more information on GPM and the repeat
>type. Set the repeat type to 'raw' - this seems to work good. Set the
>mouse protocol to 'ps2'; some so called "PS2 mice", e.g. the Logitech
>Cordless Wheel mouse, needs 'imps2' as protocol.
>
>Got it working in console mode?

	More info. I have tried cahnging the type to imps2. Seperately I changed the
	device to /dev/mouse. Non of ths change anything :-(

	If I do a killall on gpm, and run it from the command line, about 2/3 of on
	line, and all of the next line on my console get highlighted. However, I get no
	mouse pointer and pressing the keys does nothig.

	I tried running gpm -D -V9, and I don't get any messages whatsover, shouldn't
	Iget something?

	I have tried 2 differnt mice, one 3 button, one 2 buttton both HP PS/2 mice.
	Both mice wokr fine with teh HP Vextra siting next to the Debian box. It's
	runing FreeBSD.

	This is getting frustrating, I need to move on to fighting the X battle, but
	there is no use trying to even atempt that wihtou a working mouse!

	Anyone got some troubleshooting tips?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.