Re: VALinux box -> NT4 -> Debian emergency!

on Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 10:57:38AM +0000, Rory Campbell-Lange (rory@campbell-lange.net) wrote:
> Hi.
> I've an urgent question, and I'd be most grateful if anyone with an
> answer or advice would reply to me directly, as I only receive the
> digest for the debian-user list.
>
> I'm trying to propel my office which currently uses NT4 servers to
> serve Mac workstations, to Linux servers. We need a new box and I've
> contacted VALinux in the UK to spec one of these out. We have to have
> a box by the end of next week!
>
> A small complication as that we need to practise installing NT4 onto
> the new server as we have a completely new IT support department who
> don't have much experience in this area. I'd like to get the VALinux
> box, possibly take out the hard drive/s and put in a temporary hd,
> install NT4, then put back the Linux hard disks and reinstall lilo.
>
> I'm very inexperienced with lilo, mbrs etc. I'd be grateful for any
> comments on the feasibility and likely problems of the procedure I've
> outline above.

If the issue is getting servers with NT and GNU/Linux preinstalled, VA
should be able to help you out in this department by preloading.

If the issue is rolling out a large number of your own NT installs, you
may want to explore a partition management or boot management tool.

Otherwise, it's fairly straightforward to load up systems in dual-boot
mode, though it's a time-consuming process, particularly on the Legacy
MS Windows side, as you can't just (legally) ghost or mirror the
installation out, AFAIK (which, in this case, isn't terribly much).

If you're just swapping disks, you won't be doing any lilo reinstalls,
you're just swapping disks.