Re: Sudden instability: can a faulty mouse cause this?

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:19:11AM -0200, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Johann Spies wrote:
> > > I have a ps/2 mouse which I have used without problems for about a
> > > year now.  Can a hardware problem on the mouse or the ps/2 port cause
> > > this?  How can I determine the cause?
>
> > I assume you don't have a multimeter readly available to simply test the
> > ports and mouse.
>
> I have a multimeter but do not know how to test the ports and the
> mouse.  Is there documentation somewhere?

I think you can find the PS/2 mouse pinout doing a search in www.google.com.
The hardware repair FAQ (use google to find it, it might be named
'electronics repair faq', or something like that -- I don't recall) should
be of help as well, I suppose.

To look for shorted circuits, you just need to use the ohmimeter function
and look for low resistance (anything lower than 1k is suspicious ;-) )
between different wires that should be isulated from each other (such as TX
and RX in a serial port -- the PS/2 pinout will help you).

I think the multimeter's probe current for resistance measurement is not
likely to damage the mouse, but I cannot be sure; you have been warned.

BTW: this test is not failure-proof. It won't detect if your mouse is
draining just a bit more current than the PS/2 specs allow for, either.

I don't recommend you test the ports with a multimeter.

  Henrique Holschuh