default WM for gnome

somebody can tell me why gnome ignores my personal properties for the
default WM? for root i have enlightenment as window manager. but i also have
a user "betatest" that i want to run with the flwm cause the machine has to
have resources free for vm-ware but i want the user to be able to execute a
shell script that restores the original state of the vm's.

now what i did was: i edited /home/betatest/.gnome/default.wm and told gnome
the default wm is /usr/bin/X11/flwm
but when i login it is ignored by gnome and enlightenment is started.

thanks for your help

Michael