Re: tape is ejected from drive after 10 mins => no unattended backups

on Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 07:01:10PM +0100, Eduardo Fernandez (efernandez@sistelnet.es) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem witha system installed with Debian 2.2 from scratch. The
> system has a SCSI DAT Tape drive, that works ok. The only problem is that
> whenever you insert a tape, if no activity occurs on the tape for 10
> minutes, it is ejected automatically.
>
> This is a problem as backups cannot run unattended.
>
> What could be the problem?

What does 'mt status' return either prior to or following the ejection?

Are any diagnostic lights on for the drive?  You'll want to refer to the
hardware mfgr's documentation for what's standard, on my HP SureStore, a
constant green indicates unit ready, slow green flash indicates use,
rapid flash indicates eject, yellow and/or red indicate problems.

I'd suspect a hardware issue.