Re: Recomended NIC for router/server

There are some compatability issues between different NIC, hubs &
switches. You'd do well to check with you switch manufacturer which NICs
they recommend. I'll not name names, since I'd only be repeating info from
magazine articles rather than 1st-hand experience.

To offload some of the processing onto the NIC you really need a
parallel-processing card, for which 3Com springs immediately to mind. Can
be expensive though.

Your server uplink should definitely be 100bastT if available, removing
one potential bottleneck - so long as the rest of the machine can process
all those disk I/O requests fast enough :)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Jim Lisi wrote:

> I am puting together a server/router/firewall mashine (yes its all those
> together)
> I am looking for recomendasions for a good NIC to use.  It neads to be a
> 10/100baseT
> (prob 100 only would be ok, since I'm useing a 10/100 switch).  I also
> nead 2 10baseT NIC
> for two aDSL modems so I'm looking for somthing that won't tax my
> procesor to much
> (Note: if the 10/100 NIC farly cheap (<50$CAN) I could use that for all
> of them)
>
> TIA,
> JIm

Paul Sims (wulfie@wulfric7.co.uk)
SpireLUG - the Chesterfield Linux User Group
www.spirelug.org.uk