Re: disk hot-swap utilities

"Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@morgul.net> writes:

> I recently had the opportunity to use a FreeBSD feature that I found
> extremely cool.  I had built a machine, set it up as a server, deployed
> the server, then realized I needed to add a disk.  The machine and OS
> support hot-swapping SCSI disks, so I was able to add a whole new disk,
> previously 100% unknown to the system, without ever rebooting.  The tool
> to control the SCSI bus is called camcontrol on FreeBSD.  My question
> is, how is this done in Linux and Debian?  Is the functionality as
> mature and good?
>
> noah
> --

I never haf the opportunity to work at a hot swap system, but this is
what works for my external SCSI CDRW Drive:
1) sync all disks
2) take away external terminate an
3) plug in the CDRW (fast!)
4) Turn Power of CDRW on
5) echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 5 0" >/proc/scsi/scsi
                           /Host Channel ID LUN\
6) Done

Read about it in /path/to/kernel-src/drivers/scsi/scsi.c

Note:
It is not possible to hot-plug a disk in a normal PC, as you will
likely get a reset when you plug in the power connector of the disk
(draws quite a lot of current when spinning up, [i tried it....]).

After all, i would say it is possible, baut mature and good????

ramin