Re: Installing Debian (Potato) did not install kernel source...

In Samuel Hathaway's email, 10-11-2000:
> iwrigb@tpg.com.au wrote:
>
> Hmm... I ran the following commands...
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.17
> # bunzip2 kernel-source-2.2.17.tar.bz2
> # tar -xf kernel-source-2.2.17.tar
> # cd kernel-source-2.2.17
> # make dep
> # find . -name moduleversions.h
>
> The find comes up empty, and the linksys driver still fails to make! Does
> anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.
> -samuel

Samuel:

   In order to get moduleversions.h, you need to configure the kernel to
set versions on all modules before doing a `make dep`.   This can be
accompliched by `make config` (long), `make menuconfig`, or `make
xconfig`.  Then you should get moduleversions.h in your
/usr/src/linux/include directory.

Michael Janssen
CNS Network Assistant