Re: Q: Compiled kernel ok-Rename it etiquette?

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 09:45:08PM +0100, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just successfully compiled my kernel and if you actually read
> instructions and have the right tools it's a strong feeling of satisfaction.
> My question is what to do with the bzImage file or kernel. I moved it to
> boot as it is and ran a link to it and that listed in lilo. But what's the
> etiquette?
>
> 1. Move kernel to boot as I did?
> 2. Rename it? If it was potato's own 2.2.17 then what?

use kernel-package to make alot of this much simpler, though if you
compile a 2.2.17 it will overwrite debian's, one way to work around
this is to add something to the EXTRAVERSION field in the kernel
Makefile.  that way you get vmlinux-2.2.17-foo with modules going in
/lib/modules/2.2.17-foo.

> 3. How do I get the new one of the boot floppy and should I?

dd if=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.17-foo of=/dev/fd0 bs=512

though i have had this not work.... (the system just puking trying to
boot the floppy)

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Jonathan
>
> PS The boot msg screen now gives me:
> You most certainly don't want to be running kerneld with
> >=2.2.X kernels.
> Read .../kmod.txt.
>
> I've read the doc and it says its' better to use kmod. Is kerneld in
> fact running? Do I have to recompile again?

did you disable loadable kernel modules? or CONFIG_KMOD ?  if you
disable loadable modules debians kerneld initscript thinks your
running a 2.0 kernel and trys to run kerneld.  i don't know why it
does not do something with uname, instead it checks for a file in
/proc (which is missing when you don't support modules, annoying)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/