Re: file too large to delete

> > would "cp mybigfile /dev/null" work also?
>
> This isn't ancient Greece.  We believe in the power of experiements and
> scientific method.

*grin* i couldn't agree more. perhaps one of the biggest steps you can take
towards becoming proficient at computing is learning to experiment.

i'm not sure what the original poster at the top of this message was thinking.
you're using cp, which is short for 'copy'. are you after two big files? :)

device files ARE files. they're a device when you read or write to them. but
they can be moved, copied over and renamed like normal files on the unix
subsystem.

an easy way to remember: devices are like a tardis. from the outside it's just
like any other phone box. it's only special when you look inside. you can fit
more in a tardis than you could a normal telephone box. but an elephant will
flatten both

(i think - i haven't seen dr who in a long, long time! ;)

cheers.

--
Damien <bitwise@repose.cx>                               - eschew obfuscation ;)