Re: cannot find the Kernelimage aft compiling

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:

>"make bzImage" helped to create arch/i386/boot/bzImage as you stated.
>I used before make zImage which in fact had put the file in
>arch/i386/boot/compressed/. So the size of about 0.6MB is valid. I was
>just wondering because the 2.0.38 kernel I recently compiled was not
>much smaller (~0.5MB), but contained raid features.
>
>Here's what I did:
>
>make dep
>make clean
>make bzImage
>make modules
>make modules_install
>
>which differs from what you suggested by not using "make oldconfig".
>Why should I have done this since I didn't alter anything and all
>settings are in ../.config from the previous "make xconfig"?

You don't

>Anyhow I copied system.map and bzImage as "vmlinuz" into /boot and
>changed the old system.map and kernel into bak files. Then edited
>lilo.conf and executed lilo.
>
>Something must have gone wrong because the system now complains about
>"unresoloved symboles" after the phrase " calculating module
>dependancies".

This often happens - did you rm all the old modules first?
I know this is a little risky, so you probably should take the system
down to single-user first, but this usually works:

rm /lib/modules/`uname -r` -rf
make modules_install

If you are being save, then use

mv /lib/modules/`uname -r` /lib/modules/`uname -r`.bak
make modules_install

The unresolved symbols are in all the modules for which the kernel no
longer contains support. The error messages are given by the command
"depmod -a", which Debian automagically runs at boot, JIC. You don't
actually need them, and they cannot be loaded. They will not prevent the
viable modules from loading correctly, so you could just ignore the
error messages.

>Unfortunatly these unresolved errors are not stored into any /var/log
>file so I cannot attach them to this mail. What do I have to change to
>get these reports into a file? Is the syslogd responseble for this?
>The only thing I can provide is part of /var/log/messages and the ls
>-l listing in the attached file named "files_in_boot".
>
>To make the day perfect, lilo refuses to accept any key (the old
>kernel is supposed to be booted with alias 2) and boots by default the
>new kernel remarking alias 1....
>Lilo.conf is aswell attached to this mail.

The lilo.conf file attached contained the line

boot=/dev/hda2

For this to work, a first stage boot loader is required, as lilo is not
installed into the MBR - is this what you intended? And what do you have
in your MBR? Could it feasibly be replaced with lilo/chos/grub?

What exactly are you doing? You do not have a prompt line in your
lilo.conf, so you will have to be holding down shift when the word LILO
appears on the screen at boot, to get the prompt to appear. When the
prompt comes up, hit TAB. What do you see?