Re: Some Newbie Questions

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 12:27:16AM -0800, dconley1@san.rr.com wrote:
> Just to fill you in on my situation.
>
> The other day, I had a friend set up one of my computers with Debian.  He
> set it up as my firewall/router, since its main function is just that.  I'm
> mostly a Hardware person, I could probably build a computer blind folded and
> I'm only familiar with the many M$ WinXXX systems.  Aside from logging in on
> my Linux box, I don't know what to do with it and I would like to learn.
>
> So, here are my Questions:
>
> 1.  I'm not going to beg for all the newbie commands I should know, so I'm
> just going to ask for a URL that will set me in the right direction.  Could
> someone please point me to one?

http://www.debian.org/doc/ links to some good newbie (and non-newbie)
online documentation.  Some is debian specific and quite extensive.
Highly recommended.

> 2.  I've read about 200 different emails from this now, (my inbox is
> buldging) and everyone is always recommending to keep everything updated,
> especially security stuff (it is my firewall after all.)  My problem is that
> I haven't the slightest clue as how to go about that.
>
> 3.  I have an Intel MoBo that has the Intel 810 (video) chipset on it, and
> currently my friend is unable to get X windows or what ever the GUI is
> called to work with it.  I fund information at the Intel website, but I
> don't have the first idea of what to do with that information... Could
> someone perhaps break it down newbie style or point me in the direction to
> where information may be found?

>From experience, I find it unlikely that Intel's information will be
very useful to you, but I could be wrong.  If you're running Debian
2.2 (the latest stable release, aka potato aka stable) then you need
xserver-svga in addition to other X packages.

http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/Status16.html has info about Intel
chipsets (It says the i801 is supported in XFree3.3.6 and 4.0.1.)
Debian potato (stable) uses X 3.3.6 I think, and woody (unstable) uses
4.0.1 but can also use the old xservers.

I recommend reading the debian guides linked to above to learn how to
install packages, etc before you try too hard with X.

If you have apt set up correctly, running this command as root should
install some basic stuff you need:

# apt-get install task-x-window-system xserver-svga

Again, I recommend learning more about how things work before messing
around too much.  Although once you know a little more, messing around
is probably the best way to learn.

> Just some quick links is all I'm asking for, that I may study up on these
> things and learn.  If you want to type in newbie instructions for the
> firewall update info and perhaps the video drivers, I would hold you in the
> highest esteem.

The thing that helped me learn Linux the fastest was wiping my Windows
partition :)

> Thanks in advance
>

> Don Conley

P.S.  When you want to start a new thread on a mailing list, don't
reply to an existing message.  It looks ridiculous to those of us who
thread our mail and is more easily overlooked.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

Hobbes:  Do you have an idea for your story yet?
Calvin:  No, I'm waiting for inspiration.  You can't just turn on
         creativity like a faucet.  You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes:  What mood is that?
Calvin:  Last-minute panic.
                -- From "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson