Re: Some Newbie Questions

> 1.  I'm not going to beg for all the newbie commands I should know, so I'm
> just going to ask for a URL that will set me in the right direction.  Could
> someone please point me to one?

i started on the dos2linux howto about 5 years ago. it's a good place to
start.

> 2.  I've read about 200 different emails from this now, (my inbox is
> buldging) and everyone is always recommending to keep everything updated,
> especially security stuff (it is my firewall after all.)  My problem is that
> I haven't the slightest clue as how to go about that.

it's not imperitive. debian is half locked down by default. until you become
competent in linux, chances are you won't stand to lose much.

probably the biggest start, though:

as root, edit /etc/inittab, and put a # at the start of every line that
doesn't already have one. you can then uncomment the services you want as you
go. this file controls stuff like telnet, ftp etc.

cheers

--
Damien <bitwise@repose.cx>                                  'together alone'