Re: DSL & Firewall

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 11:08:57PM -0600, Chewie wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 07:13:25PM -0500, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:
> > My "Mom & Pop" phone company had an insert in my latest phone bill
> > that indicated they would be providing DSL service in the very near
> > future.  A friend of mine suggested that if I get the DSL service
> > that I should set up a firewall to protect myself.
>
> You have a good friend! ;-)

I too will in a near future get access to a DSL service. Excuse my ignorance, but is a firewall really necessary if I only got one computer? In the firewall HOWTO one can read that

"A firewall in computers is a device that protects a private network
  from the public part (the internet as a whole)."

Does that imply that a firewall is used to protect a private network rather than a single workstation?

Hans Ekbrand.