Re: Help needed on Gimp imlib error

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 01:46:10PM +0100, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know what is going on. I have a pretty vanilla system runnng 2.2, E,
> and a strict minimum of mainly console apps. Gimp was working fine. I loaded
> and off-loaded a couple things and now I find that when I open a file in
> Gimp (default version on board), on the third or fourth I will get intense
> HDD thrashing and the following:
>
> IMLIB ERROR: SHM can't get SHM identifier for shared XImage and another for
> shared pixmap wrapper.

It looks like a problem with shared memory ( see man shmget, for instance).

> Has it nothing to do with the recent instalations and removals? Has it been
> this way from the start because I installed it with apt-get instead of
> dselect and some crucial file was missing?

It could be (just a guess) that you have 'old shared memory' still hanging,
preventing Gimp/Imlib from allocating the new ones. Did you upgraded
Implib while having Gimp running(or other graphical appls?).
If so you should either reboot (:-() or manually remove the shared
memory. You can see the SHM allocated which ipcs and then remove them with
ipcrm -m. The problem is to understand which one to remove (I just did
ipcs on my box and I found a whole bunch of shared memory segments which
I didn't know I had ... probably Gnome stuff ...).

Hope this helps.

Ciao
-----
FB