RE: DSL & Firewall

On 06-Nov-2000 Christopher W. Aiken wrote:

  Why cant I just set my "/etc/hosts.deny"
> file to "ALL: PARANOID", comment out the "telnet" "ftp" and
> "http" lines out of my "/etc/inetd.conf" file?  Wouldn't
> that be enough protection for my system?

It is not enough, because most services do not run from inetd and don't use
TCP Wrappers.  You do need the firewall.  I see all sorts of connection
attempts on my DSL.  Many are probably innocent, but I would guess that some
of them are script kiddies.

--
Andrew