Re: New X Server crashes

"Andy" == Andy Bastien <lists@yuggoth.net> writes:

MAS> 1. xdm now takes over a minute from when the daemon is started, either
MAS> by init or manually, to when the login widget appears.  Is this
MAS> normal now, or is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Andy> I don't know.  Maybe it's trying to resolve your hostname?

How would I find out?  AFAIK my hostname and DNS are all set up
correctly.

MAS> 2. Does anyone have any clue what could cause an xdm-started X server
MAS> to use a different video mode than an xinit-started X server?

Andy> startx looks in the appropriate Screen section of your XF86Config

Okay, apparently xdm was using the wrong XF86Config file; it was using
a previous try that I saved rather than the one in /etc/X11.  While I
don't have any idea why it was doing that, deleting the old one caused
it to use the correct file and fixed this problem.  Thanks for the
help anyway.

\\// | R | T R | L B | //\\ ~ Michael Abraham Shulman
mailto:shulman@caltech.edu  ~ jabber://mas@jabber.org
http://kurukshetra.cjb.net/ ~ GnuPG Public Key #21A279E5

Old musicians never die, they just decompose.