Re: New X Server crashes

Michael Abraham Shulman <shulman@caltech.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded all the X packages to 4+ versions in unstable, and now
> my X server won't run.  It dies with the error message
>
>  *** None of the configured devices were detected.***
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> It was working yesterday and the only thing I changed was installing
> the new X packages.  Any ideas what's gone wrong?  My X server is
> SVGA 3.3.6.  I can provide more information about any part of my
> system upon request.

When I did 'apt-get -u dist-upgrade' I noticed that
task-x-window-system-core was maked as held back. After the upgrade I
still had my v3.3.6 servers on the system. I did 'apt-get install
task-x-window-system-core' and the final part of the new X install was
carried out. After that everything ran fine. It looked like it needed a
two stage upgrade.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux