X4.0.1 crashing -- help!

Hi all,

I was hoping that somebody could help me figure out what's going on.

I am getting lock-ups on my computer when sound is playing and some
sort of X activity occurs (such as moving a window or switching
between virtual desktops). To get out of these I have to cycle the
power: ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, nor does ctrl-alt-bs or even the
reset button.

These are some of the specifics of my installation:

      Woody
      XF86 4.0.1
      Aureal Vortex sound driver au8820 vers. 1.1.1
      NVidia drivers for XF4.x, vers. 0.9.5

This problem never occurred under XF3.x.

Please help me. This has become quite a problem. The system is now
unusable for the kids, since games (using sound and graphics) have the
crashing problem most often. But it's tough for me, too, since I have
music projects to prepare.

Many thanks,

Dan

--