Why doesn't alt-x in Emacs doesn't work?

    Scott> In a recently installed and apg-get dist-upgraded potato, I
    Scott> can't use alt-x in emacs.  Does anyone know why?

    Scott> (I know I can use escape-x, but I'm used to alt-x)

Scott,

I've had a problem like this before, and learned (from some xemacs
discussion archives) that my solution was to put these lines in my
.bashrc:

	xmodmap -e 'remove Mod1 = Alt_R'
	xmodmap -e 'remove Mod4 = Meta_L'

Now, I'm not sure we have the same problem. Go ahead and try this
(make sure you log out of and then back in to X first). If it works,
great. If not, then try again.

Dan
--
Dan Griswold