Now that X4.0.1 Is Woody-Fied.

Most of you might have gotten bored to tears by my running efforts to get
the X4.0.1 in woody functional, and probably know by now I have, so I
thought I'd quickly and briefly say how:

After the updates and mountains of installs/removes:

Run XFree86 -configure

This creates a /root/XF86Config.new file.

Hack this file using the information I've given previously - notably the
Mouse and Monitor issues, and the display modes.

Move the new file to /etc/X11 (for Christ's sake preserve the old one :))

Then everything should be fine. It's apparent to me that GDM is *not* at
fault - after all if startx won't work, GDM sure as hell won't either.

I'm also most appreciative of the work Branden and Co. have done - for the
problem to be only a matter of an individuals setup within a fairly easy
to read XF86Config file is quite an effort in my opinion. I'm hoping
xf86setup isn't completely dead tho! :) (It gets removed when
xserver-xfree86 gets installed btw, hence why we've all had fun in
consoles getting it working again).

So I hope I've helped someone, and good job Branden and Co.

Cheers,
 Corey J. Popelier
 http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~pancreas