woody upgrade still breaks apt-get

Over the last few days I have installed/reinstalled potato systems and
have used the apt-get update/apt-get upgrade to bring up a woody
installation.

Always after the upgrade finishes apt-get fails with the 'something wicked'
error.

I have tried using just 'nameserver localhost' in resolv.conf but unless my
ISP's nameserver is present also apt-get will not start.

Using a potato system on a separate drive to download is poor solution, so
is there a fix I have missed? I will have another try now, which means a
reboot to potato and relogin. No mail on that one so I will back later to
report.
--