Re: PS/2 mouse (Hewlett packard name on mouse) works with gpm ...not with X11

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, sena wrote:

> I heard that Walter Tautz wrote this on 03/11/00:
>
> > XF86Config has
> > Protocol "ps/2"
> > Device "/dev/mouse"
> >

> > where /dev/mouse is a softlink to /dev/gpmdata
> >
> I have a Microsoft (yeah, I know) Intellimouse (the ones with the wheel)
> connected to my PS/2 port... Well, first thing, I have to use the "IMPS/2"
> protocol in X instead of "PS/2"... But I don't know if your mouse uses one
> or another...
>
> The most important thing I had to do to make my mouse work was to change the
> Device line to "/dev/psaux" instead of "/dev/mouse" (that points to
> /dev/gpmdata) and disable gpm every time I want to use X. It sucks, but it's
> the only way... At least for my mouse.. :)
>
> Regards, sena...

Yeah. that works for me too. I suppose when I type startx I'll have to create
an alias like

startx /etc/init.d/gpm stop; /path of real startx script ....

or one could create a cover script that stops gpm at the beginning and the end starts it up...

alas when one goes to a virtual console there ain't any gpm runnin...

yeah it is kind of sucks..

-walter

ps. as an aside this was a three button mouse...no wheel...
Anyone know why it seems to be necessary to kill gpm....