Re: New user rant..urr, questions.

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 12:28:30PM -0500, sysy wrote:
> I'm an experienced computer user, and have been looking at
> Linux closer and closer over the last few years.  On a couple
> of occaisions I have attempted to install various flavours of
> Linux with.. umm.. "classic" results.  You see, I'm cursed..
> for me, software breaks in the strangest ways.  Trust me.  If
> you think it happens only to you, yes, it's documentable and
> exists in others.  There is no cure.

that's not good news. maybe they'll develop one soon, i'll keep
hoping...

> --+ Anyhow.  I would like some user help.  I need a set of
> links pointing towards user stories on Debian, as well as
> various other user pages.  There are no links on
> http://www.debian.org and I couldn't find a webring with a
> couple of quick searches.

interesting. i think most user-contributed help on debian
probably falls under 'generic linux war stories' which would
indeed make it hard to find...

but folks like kmself (http://www.netcom.com/~kmself) do
occasionally post useful intro/howto/what-the documents that
might qualify...

> --+ I would like to document my experiences with Debian,
> essay-style, to contribute to the efforts.

please do!

> My gift of finding problems with software will kick in.. I'll
> take notes and review the software so hopefully everything
> will be reproducable.  IF Debian manages to miraculously
> survive the ordeal, I will have an archive filled with
> screenshots, doodles and essays describing how it can be made
> even better.  But that's for later.

for capturing an install via console, use 'script' in case
you're not familiar with it... not good to use when your cursor
is hopping all around (as in an editor or an n-curses dialog)
but great for capturing all the text flying by...

> And so I'm left here.  Don't let me down.

the number of satisfied debian folk seems large enough that
whether or not you're disappointed will ultimately rest on the
lump between your very own shoulders. mine likes it.

may the source be with you.

--
There are only two places in the world where time takes
precedence over the job to be done.  School and prison.

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/