Re: Lilo and vga=mode Question

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 12:33:21AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 01:45:34AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:57:55PM -0500, David Bellows wrote:
> > > The numbers in the second column are in hex.  The proper way to specify
> > > hex for lilo would be (for you specifically):
> > > vga=0x0122
> >
> > is there any way to change the console resolution after boot?
> >
> > or are we stuck with a microso~1 - like 'windont has detected
> > that you moved your mouse; would you like to reboot now?'
>
> you can with framebuffer consoles, man fbset.

% man fbset

fbset(8)             Linux frame buffer utils            fbset(8)

NAME
       fbset - show and modify frame buffer device settings

SYNOPSIS
       fbset [options] [mode]

DESCRIPTION
       This documentation is out of date!!
<snip>

eh? out of date?

--

and, question: at what point in a newbie's travails with linux
would he encounter the concept that video modes are controlled

% apropos monitor
rpc.statd (8)        - NSM status monitor
sniffit (8)          - packet sniffer and monitoring tool
statd (8)            - NSM status monitor

% apropos resolution
resolution: nothing appropriate.

% apropos display
DBI::Format (3pm)    - A package for displaying result tables
Data::ShowTable (3pm) - routines to display tabular data in several formats.
DBI::Format (3pm)    - A package for displaying result tables
cal (1)              - displays a calendar
echo (1)             - display a line of text
free (1)             - Display amount of free and used memory in the system
gprof (1)            - display call graph profile data
ksyms (8)            - display exported kernel symbols.
ldaptemplates.conf (5) - configuration file for LDAP display template routines
look (1)             - display lines beginning with a given string
mdir (1)             - display an MSDOS directory TQ
mdu (1)              - display the amount of space occupied by an MSDOS directory TQ
modinfo (8)          - display information about a kernel module
mtoolstest (1)       - tests and displays the configuration TQ
mtype (1)            - display contents of an MSDOS file TQ
netstat (8)          - Display network connections, routing tables, interface statistics, masquerade connections, netlink messages, and multicast memberships
objdump (1)          - display information from object files.
pad (3ncurses)       - create and display curses pads
pooltype (1)         - display a WEB pool file
pstree (1)           - display a tree of processes
readlink (1)         - display target of symbolic link on standard output
ref-elvis (1)        - Display a C function header
showcfont (1)        - displays all characters in the current screen-font.
top (1)              - display top CPU processes
whatis (1)           - display manual page descriptions
whiptail (1)         - display dialog boxes from shell scripts
xferstats (8)        - displays FTP usage statistics
xferstats.wu-ftpd (8) - displays FTP usage statistics
Xsecurity (3x)       - X display access control
gxditview (1x)       - display gtroff output files

% apropos vga
consolechars (8)     - load EGA/VGA console screen font, screen-font map, and/or application-charset map.

% apropos console
con2fbmap (8)        - hows and set mapping between consoles and framebuffer devices.
console (4)          - console terminal and virtual consoles
console_codes (4)    - Linux console escape and control sequences
console_ioctl (4)    - ioctl's for console terminal and virtual consoles
console_ioctls (4)   - ioctl's for console terminal and virtual consoles
consolechars (8)     - load EGA/VGA console screen font, screen-font map, and/or application-charset map.
dselect (8)          - console Debian package handling frontend
fgconsole (1)        - print the number of the active VT.
gpm (8)              - a cut and paste utility and mouse server for virtual consoles
psfaddtable (1)      - add a Unicode character table to a console font
psfgettable (1)      - extract the embedded Unicode character table from a console font
psfstriptable (1)    - remove the embedded Unicode character table from a console font
resizecons (8)       - change kernel idea of the console size
syslog (2)           - read and/or clear kernel message ring buffer; set console_loglevel
unicode_start (1)    - put the console in Unicode mode.
unicode_stop (1)     - put the console out of unicode mode (ie.  in 8-bit mode).

didja see it? it actually showed up! even a newbie could... NOT!

--

# con2fbmap /dev/console
open /dev/fb0: No such device

# fbset /dev/console
open /dev/fb0: No such device

so, here's the next (inevitable) question: when /dev/fb* doesn't
exist, what now?

successive question (if i ever get to this point): /etc/fb.modes
indicates pixels, as in 640x480 and 1600x1200; how do you map
those to, say, 132 console characters across and 32 lines down?

--
There are only two places in the world where time takes
precedence over the job to be done.  School and prison.

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/