Re: Mac and DNS Problem

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 03:54:51PM +0100, Andreas Rabus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i've got a Mac with OS 9.0... in an TCP/IP LAN with about twenty nodes.
> I also have three DNS Severs. :)
>
> Now i got "unapproved updates" and "zone transfers AXFR" from that Mac.
> The TCP/IP conf at the Mac seems clean, and i didn't find any checkboxes to
> tell the mac that he schouldn't da those things.
>
> Has anybody here solved that problem?
> Any help ist apriciated.

<guess>

i've got mac os 8.1 with mactcp 1.3 and open transport ...

tcp/ip control panel config is
	configure  : manually
	ip addr    : 192.168.1.100
	subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
	router addr: 192.168.1.1 <- debian box, connected to the wwweb
	name server: 192.168.1.1

on debian/potato, i've got
	/etc/bind/named.conf
		options {
			forward first;
			forwarders {
				208.33.88.5;
				208.33.88.4;
			};
			allow-transfer {
				127.0.0.1;
				# debian can peek at its own zone, of course
				192.168.1.0/24;
				# any cpu on the local net can see the whole zone
				<...my isp/dns servers also...>
				# my dns servers need update/transfer access
			};
		};

probably what you lack is the allow-transfer portion,
if your debian box is acting as your local 192.168.*.*
dns server...

</guess>

--
There are only two places in the world where time takes
precedence over the job to be done.  School and prison.

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/