Re: XFree 4.0.1

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 04:43:52AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Moritz Schulte wrote:
>
> > Try http://samosa.debian.org/~branden/
>
> I installed fine from here, however, when I tried to upgrade the fonts,
> things got weird.  At that point, I was unable to start X and lots of
> dependency error.  Eventually, I just downloaded the tgz's from
> xfree86.org and everything worked like a charm.  Since I am new to
> Debian, my question is this:  how badly have I gone and soiled the
> "purity" of my system?  Since I'm still unfamiliar with making my own

if you installed into /usr/local like your supposed to your fine, if
you just overwrote random stuff in /usr your hosed.

> debs, I have installed a new kernel and a couple other programs, and now
> X.  I would assume that when the stable X4.0.1 package is out I can
> install that and that will fix things?  Is there an easier way?  Despite
> the fact that I've "corrupted" my system, what else have I just done?
> Chris

if you installed into /usr/local and did not damage /etc/X11 much you
should be fine by installing the real debs from woody.  if you blew
away package manager owned files you will have a broken system at
worst or a bunch of cruft at best.

never ever install anything yourself unless its in /usr/local/

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/